OTT Media Services Can Be Delivered Straight to Your Home
The internet has facilitated the dissemination of film and television content without the mediation of satellite pay-tv services or traditional cables.
This has become possible due to the functioning of Over-The-Top advancements. It is prominent for its delivery, which only requires a compatible hardware device and a reliable internet connection. OTT is a convenient system as it is easily accessible and readily available. Additionally, you can access numerous channels at the comfort of your home.
Examples of OTT media services include Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu, Amazon Video, Sling TV, YouTube, and YouTube Red. Also, it tasks differently in terms of delivery, advertisement, and measurement streams. It is also defined according to the devices articulating the content, such as gaming platforms and smart TVs, among others.
Understanding OTT Media Services
OTT should not be confused with video, though they are intertwined. It is a different channel through which video and related content is disseminated to end-users. This move has greatly reshaped the consumption of TV and video content as compared to past times. Projections also showcase that, in the forthcoming years, online video will contribute over 82% of the internet traffic. This is an approximation of 15 times more than it was in 2017.
As the demand escalates, cable providers have also been seen moving with the wave. They are trying to seek means of delivering and marketing their content in different ways. Apps and other platforms have been designed in an attempt to match up the latest standards.
Though YouTube stands out as the preliminary provider, the errand rise of Netflix has caught the eye. Around 2007, the little streaming platform emerged. They learned the consumer needs and provided them with a robust scheme. In a few years, they are ranked among the top and have also elevated OTT and its services.
Devices to Stream OTT Services
As stated earlier, a stable internet connection accompanied by a compatible device will access content from OTT services. A clear consolidation of the available devices is listed below:
- Mobile OTT devices - The world is running under a mobile setup, and OTT has not been left out. They support a wide array of online video services offered. Users are required to download specific apps that are geared towards providing the content. Such devices include smartphones and tablets that stream on the go.
- Personal computers - Despite mobile devices being the most common, computers are also an accomplice. They provide this content by a web browser or desktop-based apps.
- Smart TVs and devices - Since the late 2000s, there have been massive advancements in the television sector. This has made it a tool effective to administer OTT services. They have in-built internet connectivity that functions to provide the content. Additionally, there are instances that they are blended with additional devices to work efficiently. Some of these smart devices are Apple TVs, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, and other related devices.
- Gaming Consoles - Rather than a gaming experience, these devices have been incorporated into the delivery of OTT services. Such devices include Playstation and Xbox.
Categories of OTT Usage
Based on different users’ needs, the delivery of OTT has been classified into:
- Subscription video-on-demand requires users to pay a subscription fee to access the video content.
- Advertising-based video-on-demand involves consumers accessing free-to-watch video content, which is later legalized by advertising.
- Transaction-based video-on-demand applies to users who have made payments to access content through the pay-per-view purchase model.